Ten Tips to Maximize Music Conferences
Music conferences are a great way to connect with the music community, learn new ideas, trends or takeaway tips to improve your skills and network. Here are our ten tips to maximize the experience whether it’s your first clinic or your 75th.
- Set a goal. What do you want to get out of going? Do you want to learn specific techniques, meet new people, experience other music? Define the purpose for your trip and what outcomes you want. You’re more likely to be successful if you write it down.
- Plan your schedule. Look at the conference programs and highlight the classes or clinics you want to take. You can’t attend them all, but do go to as many of the keynotes as you can.
- Do your research. Check out the speakers ahead of time. Are there composers you’d like to meet to seek advice from? Leaders you aspire to be? What in your repertoire needs a rubato and who can you learn from?
- Be sure to network. Some of the best education comes from the conversations in the halls. Find like-minded instructors, or people who can help you grow in your career, look for mentors, friends and commiserators.
- Bring business cards. Take a picture of one so if you forget, you have them on your phone, which you are not likely to forget.
- Follow up. When you get back to your room, follow the person on all of their social media platforms, send a follow-up email or post or DM with info about your discussion as a reminder, make the e-connections you promised.
- Schedule down time. All of this education and networking can be exhausting. Take a walk. Get out of the building for a coffee break.
- Take a tour. Never pass up an opportunity to see a new town and community. Try some of the cultural food favorites in the area. Arrive a little early to take a hike or a tour.
- Listen to music. We all know music is life. Listen to the great performances at the conference. Break away to go listen to live music. Maybe bring your instrument and play.
- Visit the exhibits. GPG Music is excited to be at the 75th Annual Midwest Clinic, Dec 15-17. If you’re attending, look for us at booth 1203. We’re bringing great music selections to check out. We have prizes, trivia, composer conversations and consultations with experts on teaching, rehearsal strategy and more.
GPG Music is the premiere source for award-winning music and design for marching band, inspirational concert music, and powerful, captivating music for percussion. Our composers are dedicated to providing reasonably-priced, custom-level compositions for all ability levels. Our balanced creative and educational focus will allow your band to reach its fullest potential based on the specific strengths of your ensemble. #InspireTheNextGeneration